The Best Plugins to Showcase Your Business Reviews
Customers are key to any business! Using the customer voice is a great tool to help your potential customers look into other’s experiences. Showcasing these reviews can be tricky connecting to review sites like Yelp or Google reviews. Here are some great plugins from an article by WPBeginner for WordPress to help show your best customer reviews!
- Testimonial Rotator is an easy to use WordPress testimonials plugin. It allows you create a testimonial carousel and add rotating testimonials anywhere on your website.
- Easy Testimonials allows you to add a customer feedback form on your website, so you can collect testimonials. You can also manually enter testimonials from your WordPress admin area.
- Strong Testimonials is one of the most customizable WordPress testimonial plugins. It comes with multiple display options including testimonial slider, grid layout, masonry layout, single column layout, and more.
- WP Testimonials is a simple yet highly customizable testimonials plugin. It allows you to easily add testimonials and sort them into categories and tags.
- Testimonial Slider offers a modern WordPress testimonial slider with an improved user experience. It comes with a slider as well as plain list layout.
Your Web Store needs Woo Commerce
This word has confused and worried Business Owners for over a decade now with online shopping being a pinnacle of a wide range and functional website. If you have things to sell, you’re most likely going to need a functional online store. Before we get into the best themes and looks for your online store, first let’s explore what Woo Commerce really does and how it plays into your online business.
What is Woo Commerce?
A great tutorial from ithemes explains Woo Commerce as a plugin that integrates easily with your existing WordPress site, turning your site into a fully functional WordPress e-commerce website with just a few clicks. With the plugin’s booming success since it’s launch in 2011, it now currently powers over 99% of WordPress e-commerce websites in the US, Canada, and the UK. The best part though? WooCommerce is designed to make getting started as easy as possible, with a simple installation and setup to get your e-commerce store up and running in no time!
Themes, Themes, & More Themes
Choosing the right theme isn’t always easy. When new and old businesses alike look for a theme for their website, here’s a few tips on what you’re looking for from a great article by Envatotuts:
- Attractive Design – On top of looking good, your chosen theme should be appropriate for your audience and the type of products you sell. For example, if you sell clothes or toys for children, use a theme that has a playful look and bright colors.
- Continued Updates and Support – Choose a theme that is well-supported and maintained to avoid any possible conflicts when WooCommerce or WordPress itself as they release their updates.
- Custom Functionality – if you know that you will require custom functionality like sliders, custom widgets or different layout possibilities, choose a theme that already has those features integrated.
- Responsive Design and Fast Loading Time – Keep in mind the increasing use of mobile devices and look for a theme that has responsive design and loads fast.
Learn more about what to look for and great suggestions on Woo Commerce Themes here.
Still too much for you to take in? No problem! Real Basics can help you set up with Woo Commerce or any online store for your website. Give us a call today to get set up with a FREE Consultation and get your website selling!
Beautiful TV commercials, high tech web ads, you’ve seen all the different build-it-yourself website services like Squarespace, Wix, Weebly, GoDaddy, and so many more. They only sell you all the benefits of a serverless site making it seem like you have all the power to make your website unique. However there’s one problem with that thought, the sites are not unique! A recent article by CSS Tricks explains how entertaining the serverless sites can be in terms of a theme you can choose.
A few examples are:
And this one:
So what’s the moral to these entertaining images? The best thing you can do to avoid this website sameness epidemic of serverless sites, is to make your site yours! You don’t want your site to look like all these typical businesses. RealBasics loves to not only give you control of your website, we want you to own it! With the services of RealBasics, you get to own the site. You or your staff can easily update and extend it how you want it. We just give you the resources and set up the layout. If you have an old site and want to update and make it look modern, we can do that too! We don’t want your site to fall into the design hole of “sameness”. We’re here to really make your site uniquely yours.
Though it isn’t always at the top of every business’s priority list, building your website is an important step to take your business to the next level. Your website is the face of your business online and it should make a good impression to your clientele. A great article by WebConfs.com explains why you may be in desperate need of a Web Developer like us!
Tackling a website is a hefty task for an unseasoned business owner. The internet users have no time or patience for poorly designed, poorly functioning websites. To help with this task, here are 5 signs it’s time to hire a Web Developer.
1. You have an outdated website design
The look and feel of your website are very important so that you can get together an attractive design to engage your visitors better. Attractive Designs helps get repeat visitors and build loyalty to your brand!
2. You’re not ranting well on Google or having success with SEO‘s
Search engine optimization is very important for websites to rank on Google. SEO leads to organic traffic and business. In order to rank well in Google, your website needs to be optimized as per SEO guidelines that a Web Developer will be happy to follow for you!
3. Site Navigation is confusing
Site Navigation can make or break your website. WebConf.com mentions “If a page doesn’t load within 3 seconds, you risk losing a visitor. A professional website developer will be able to evaluate your site and determine exactly what needs to happen in order for it to speed up.”
4. Problems loading your site in a timely manner
Users prefer websites that are fast and efficient. No one has the time to sit around waiting for your website to load slowly. Even in terms of a good SEO ranking, Google prefers a website that has a high load speed.
5. Site is not Mobile friendly
One of the biggest demands that your website will have is that the site should be responsive by all means. Your website should work properly on all devices, whether desktop, laptop, mobile or tablet.
If your website ails from these above issues then it is a collective sign that you need to hire the services of a web development company like RealBasics.com that can help improve your website! Give us a call to learn more!
Plugins, Plugins, Plugins!
WordPress sites are by far the easiest and best performing website platform, but WordPress has so much more to offer with plugins! The world of plugins can be overwhelming at first, but once you see what you need on your site, it’s a lot easier to do the research for the right one. Here are a few of the highest rated plugins for WordPress and what they do for you:
First and foremost, your website needs a safe, reliable backup plugin. Ideally, you want something that’s easy to use and fast to finish. Any website has the possibility of issues like hacks, malware, user error, deleted files and more. Having a current backup of your WordPress website is critical for protecting your website. BackupBuddy is here to help.
Need a contact form for your site? Gravity Forms is here! This plugin allows you to build custom contact forms quickly with no technical skills required. You can also schedule forms to appear and disappear at certain times, create order forms with pricing fields, and even build a form that creates user-generated WordPress posts on your site. Definitely the best form plugin to use!
Securing your site is a top priority for business owners. Sucuri’s web application firewall is probably one of the best protection you can get for your site. They monitor and protect your site from DDoS, malware threats, XSS attacks, brute force attacks, and basically every other type of attack.
4. Yoast SEO
SEO is a big deal, we all know it. Yoast SEO is one of the most popular WordPress plugins to have for your site. It allows you to optimize your site for search engines. While SEO’s as a whole can be daunting, WP Beginner has a great article on how to install and setup Yoast SEO
WooCommerce is the plugin that revolutionized Ecommerce for WordPress. This plugin lets you sell anything with total control for developers and store owners. It’s easy to use and showcases offerings in displays with multiple configurations. If you want to sell products on your site, this is the plugin to use.
The world of plugins is still a bit daunting to the un-trained hand. However, the best part of every plugin mentioned so far, is that we know how to use them all! RealBasics can help your site by setting up and customizing plugins to fit your every need. Give us a call today to set up a consultation and let us help your site!
It’s 2018, what are you waiting for?
Blogging can often seem like a daunting task or one that seems like it would take up too much of your business’s or personal time. However, a recent article by WPExplorer.com gives us 10 reasons why you should start a blog with WordPress! Here are some top reasons:
- Blogging is easy
- You can improve your writing chops
- Learn new information and skills each day
- Make Money! There are lots of ways to make money with blogging.
- Become an Authority on your subject or business
Now that you’ve decided to create your blog for your website, where do your start? ProBlogger.com has some great suggestions on their website for how to start a blog. The best part of all this? Say you’re still on the fence about putting the time in to start a blog, RealBasics can help! We’ve got writers specifically able to blog for businesses and their websites. Don’t fear starting a blog in 2018! One way or another, embrace blogging this year for you and your business.
Stock photos for websites are one of the toughest aspects of putting together your complete package online. With any good website, you will always find great, high quality images. These kind of images can unfortunately cost you greatly when using services like AdobeStock or ShutterStock. However, a recent article from wptavern.com highlighted a few awesome sources for FREE public domain images. Here are a few worth looking into for your next Stock Photo need:
5. Pickup Image
Website Backups…you may be asking, “Why do I need to?” and thinking “Nothing’s changed on my site, no need!” A popular blog WP WordPress Coach tells us that a lot of undesirable events can happen to your site like:
- If you update the core WordPress files or a plugin, sometimes the update may not run properly and you may need to restore your backup & start again.
- If you’re tinkering with your site and playing in areas that perhaps you shouldn’t be (e.g. in the functions.php file), depending on the severity of the problem, you may need to restore your backup.
- If your site gets hacked, having a backup to restore to will mean all your hard work doesn’t go down the drain.
There are many opinions and thoughts on how often you should backup your website. Ideally, once per day would be a great frequency to ensure nothing would ever get lost or damage any files. This is not the most realistic backup process for every day, working businesses. iThemes.com had some suggestions based on what you do with your site:
- If you upload, update or change your themes or plugins at least once a week, you should make full backups no less than twice a month.
- If you upload, update or change your themes or plugins at least once a month, you should make full backups no less than once a month.
- If you upload, update or change your themes or plugins less than once a month, you should make full backups no less than once a month.
A backup of your site is like an insurance. You might not need it, but if you don’t have it when the time comes, you’re screwed! Lucky for you, at Real Basics, we are a managed service! That means we have monitored manual and automatic backups over 2 times per week. If your site fails a backup on our service? No problem! We make sure all your data is safe by manually getting into your site to fix that patch and backing it up again! Having us monitor and manage your site can take that time consuming backup process off of your to-do list. Give us a call to see how we can make your backups seamless!
FYI, if you re-use passwords it might be a good time to a) change passwords on your most critical accounts (bank, Google, Facebook, business websites, you-know-better-than-I-do…) Because thanks to a recent release of 1.4 BILLION username/password pairs hackers are having a field day!
From the original post, which tracks automated attacks on WordPress sites, but where there’s smoke…
A possible explanation for this new massive increase in brute force attacks
On December 5th, a massive database of hacked credentials emerged. It contains over 1.4 billion username/password pairs. Approximately 14% of the database contains credentials that have not been seen before. The database is also searchable and easy to use.
Historically, brute force attacks targeting WordPress have not been very successful. This new database provides fresh credentials that, when matched with a WordPress username, may provide a higher success rate for attackers targeting sites that do not have any protection.
— Source: Wordfence Blog